“You shall not have strange gods before Me.
“You shall not make for yourself a graven thing, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, nor of those things that are in the waters under the earth. You shall not adore them, nor serve them: I am the Lord your God, mighty, jealous, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me: And showing mercy unto thousands to them that love Me and keep My commandments” (Ex. 20:1-2).
Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfil. Verily, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place. Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven. But whoever obeys and teaches these commandments will be called greatest in the kingdom of heaven. I tell you, unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and the Pharisees, you will not enter into the kingdom of heaven (Mt 5:17-20).
The Ten Commandments
Exodus 20:2-17 (Holy Bible, Vulgate: Douay-Rheims trans.)
- “I am the Lord thy God, who brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt not have strange gods before Me.
- Thou shalt not make to thyself a graven thing, nor the likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or in the earth beneath, nor of those things that are in the waters under the earth. Thou shalt not adore them, nor serve them: I am the Lord thy God, mighty, jealous, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate Me: And showing mercy unto thousands to them that love Me and keep My commandments.
- Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain: for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that shall take the name of the Lord his God in vain.
- Remember that thou keep holy the sabbath day. Six days shalt thou labour, and shalt do all thy works. But on the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: thou shalt do no work on it, thou nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy beast, nor the stranger that is within thy gates. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and the sea, and all things that are in them, and rested on the seventh day: therefore the Lord blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it.
- Honour thy father and thy mother, that thou mayst be longlived upon the land which the Lord thy God will give thee.
- Thou shalt not kill.
- Thou shalt not commit adultery.
- Thou shalt not steal.
- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
- Thou shalt no covet thy neighbor’s house; neither shalt thou desire his wife, nor his servant, nor his handmaid, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is his.”
Continue reading “Christ came to fulfil the law”
How hard is it for humankind to follow the Father, as He so intensely desires – as He desired since the beginning of time? We only have to follow these with all their ramifications, with love in our hearts:
- You shall have no other gods but Me;
- Do not take My Name in vain;
- Keep holy the day of rest;
- Honor your parents;
- Do not kill;
- Do not commit adultery;
- Do not steal;
- Do not lie;
- Do not desire your neighbor’s wife/husband;
- Do not desire your neighbor’s goods.
Yet, we regularly fail in keeping at least some of these, because we keep on not allowing God Himself to come and live in our hearts.